As winter approaches us with full force, we must be prepared for what is coming. As an amputee (both above and below the knee), we understand that this can be a new challenge. The freezing temperatures not only cause joint pains but also make daily tasks and travel complicated.
Worry not, we’re here to help you simplify your winter preparation. Take a look at these five tips below:
- Skin care – Your skin gets dry and may crack. While using an artificial leg, your dry skin may increase friction within the socket leading to further pain in movement and skin damage. To prevent it, moisturize your stump at regular intervals and keep your socket clean.
- Limb volume fluctuations – The cold may constrict your blood vessels and lead to poor circulation in your stump. It might cause numbness and shrinkage. Try to keep your stump warm and consult a good prosthetist to guide you through.
- Be careful while walking – The frost and fog on your path may cause you to slip, taking short strides and wearing shoes with good grip will help you through the upcoming cold. If your area has heavy snowfall, it’s always best to invest in additional support such as a walking stick.
- Battling joint pain – As the temperatures drop, your joints feel restricted and movements are painful. To resolve it, incorporate stretching and mild exercises to your daily routine. They will help you to have proper circulation in your joints and muscles.
- Nutrition – Consume foods that contain Vitamin D, such as milk, grains, eggs, and yogurt among others. You can also take a Vitamin D supplement.
Apart from these, do follow our One Stop Guide for Every Amputee, for detailed information on every matter.
If you’re looking for a new device, interested in free test fitting, confused if a new socket will be the right fit, or any other queries accordingly. This is the time to reach out to us and try a test socket free of cost. Step it up with Instalimb – Contact us today!