If you are the one who just got a prosthetic leg – you may face a series of new sensations, issues, and of course, new learnings. We understand that it can be confusing and tiring at times to figure out whom to contact when you have a question or you face any kind of problem.
Ignoring the warning signs is the biggest mistake you can make as an amputee!
Yes, there are times when your concerns might feel exaggerated or other worldly but you have to know that googling around will just increase your stress and anxiety. The professionals in your reach will not only consider your discomfort or issue as a valid concern but will guide you throughout.
Never shy away from seeking medical attention or contacting your PO (Prosthetists). Now, the question is when to call whom?
We’ll breakdown the details for you –
Contacting a medical professional i.e. seeking emergency medical attention:
- If your stump suddenly has red marks that do not disappear even after 15-20 minutes.
- If your stump has discharged blood, fluid or pus.
- If your stump’s temperature feels unusually hot or cold.
Contacting a PO (Prosthetists):
- If your stump socks are getting thinner or worn out.
- There is an unusual need to increase your stump socks that indicates that your socket feels too loose.
- Your socket liners are split, torn or worn out.
- Your socket feels too tight, it is difficult to adjust your stump inside.
- If your Prosthesis feels too heavy to lift
- If your Prosthesis shows signs of wear and tear.
- If your Prosthesis needs any mechanical alteration. (in case of instability)
Wondering where to find a good PO? – Call us! Our experienced and certified Prosthetists are waiting for you, it’s time to address the warning signs.
In addition to these, reach out to your POs or rehabilitation professionals to keep your exercises at par with your fitness goals. To begin with for below knee amputees and for above knee amputees – refer to these.
For nutritional guidance – refer to our “Top 10 ways to lead a healthy lifestyle as an amputee”
For further queries you can reach out to us and we’ll be there to guide you through-out. It’s time to Step it up with Instalimb – Contact us today!