We’re approaching a warmer temperature at a fast pace, and within a few weeks we will notice a high rise in heat. As an amputee, it is important to prepare for the upcoming summer beforehand. In addition, your skin is always sensitive around the stump, given it’s prolonged exposure to a prosthetic and being prone to heat and humidity.
Now comes the utmost important tip that you must keep in mind!
- Sun protection – As mentioned the skin around your stump is sensitive to heat. When exposed without any artificial leg, it must be layered with high SPF Sunscreen.
- Cleanliness – Maintaining a regular check and cleaning of your stump with mind soap and water is best. It will help you to keep a good level of hygiene. If you see any disruption in skin texture, itchiness, redness or any abnormality, please contact your doctor / PO immediately..
- Well-fitted prosthetic leg is the key! – What’s more is if your artificial leg is not the right fit, as an amputee it could pose many problems. Especially, you can duffer from bumps, boils, or redness on your stump due to varying degrees of friction.
- Regular checks – This needs to be mentioned again, as a caretaker / amputee, you must know that checking of the stump area 2-3 times a day is necessary. Also, if there is any wound left untreated, it may lead to an increase in issues.
- Maintain ample moisture in the stump – Finally, dry skin is prone to breakdown, moisturizing the friction prone area gives you a step ahead in the process.
Furthermore, will your region remain cold in the near future? Check winter tips for an amputee here!
Moreover, the advancement of 3D printing technology has the potential to revolutionize the production of prosthetics, making it more feasible and efficient. To avail more information; this is the time to reach out to us and try a test socket free of cost. Step it up with Instalimb – Contact us today