Being an Amputee and a prosthetic leg user, you are often subjected to think that you are not capable of engaging in sporting activities. But, is that true?
Not at all. There are ample sporting grounds, teams, as well government foundations for sports that are there especially for the able bodied! (For example the Paralymic Committee of India)
Now you may ask, what all sports can you play. Here is a list of general activities that you can participate in :
- Cycling – It is an excellent practice to improve your physical as well as mental health. You can either try a static cycle (indoor) or a running cycle (outdoor). Simple modifications are available to ensure your prosthetic foot grip to the pedal, and you will be good to go!
- Jogging or Running – Start small, take it one step at a time. Try power walking, then move on to jogging and then finally running. There are options available in terms of artificial legs that are adept with your activity level.
- Basketball / Badminton / Table Tennis – There are many para-sports teams who can help you understand the basics of navigating basketball, badminton or table tennis. They can assist you in developing skills either as a hobby or as a sportsperson. It is definitely possible!
- Shooting – Para-shooters undergo a lot of practice for aim and stability. This is one of the sports where you will not just be using your physical strength but also your analytical ability. Do try it out.
- Swimming – Of course an interesting and fun choice. Always be sure whether your prosthetic is safe for going underwater or not. Regardless, you can learn to swim without your artificial leg as well.
It’s time to turn your game face on and try giving these sports a shot. Being an amputee should not hold your back at any given point in life. Still confused? Don’t let limb loss hold you back!
Moreover, If you’re looking for a new artificial leg, interested in free consultation, confused if your socket is the right fit, finding the best Prosthetist, or any other queries – This is the time to reach out to us. Step it up with Instalimb – Contact us today!