Limb care and skin care are essential for an amputee’s health and mobility. Prosthetic sockets usually trap sweat and prevent air from circulating to your stump which can make bacterias find a hub to prosper. Here are some ways to maintain the betterment of the same from a new prosthetic user perspective :
- Wash your limb with mild soap and water every day.
- Check your limb for red pressure patches, skin breakdown, and marks every day.
- In case of reduced or no sensation in your stump (residual limb), do regular checks and avoid putting it in hot water or sun exposure as it will lead to burns and blisters.
- Don’t sleep with a pillow below your knee as this might lead to a contracture.
- As a new amputee, use a shrinker as prescribed. Try to take a bath at night as your leg might swell with hot water, making it difficult to put your prosthetic on.
- Don’t hang your leg down for longer hours, it might lead to swelling as well.
- It is important that you take an active role in your rehabilitation.
- Stretching – Stretching of your limbs (both lower extremities) is extremely important to maintain mobility and health of your joints and muscles. It will also help in preventing any further injury.
- Strengthening – Maintaining muscular strength helps does not only to maintain the muscular form of the residual limb. Although, more importantly it provides ample strength to withstand the prosthetic wear and aid in daily activities. It also provides ease in walking and helps in achieving a normal gait.
These are some of the essential tips that one should follow in order to maintain their stump as well as limb health.
For further queries you can reach out to us and we’ll be there to guide you through-out. It’s time to Step it up with Instalimb – Contact us today!