We understand that as new amputees a great deal of time is spent thinking about all the things that can go wrong, without actualizing the precautions one is ought to take. There’s no denying that limb and skin care for an amputee is of utmost importance while using a prosthetic. It can help you prevent problems and issues that may arise due to negligence.
Using a prosthetic requires a thorough process of rehabilitation, and to optimize the same there are a few steps one must follow. Some tips for a new prosthetic users are mentioned below :
- Wash your limb with mild soap and water every day to keep your stump clean and healthy. A gentle wash will reduce the chances of infection.
- Make sure to check your limb for red pressure patches, skin breakdown, marks, blisters, sore spots, or any abnormal occurrence.
- In case of reduced or no sensation in your stump, do regular checks and avoid putting it in hot water or extended sun exposure as it may lead to burns and blisters.
- Don’t sleep with a pillow below your knee as this might lead to a contracture (Joint stiffness). This affects the process of rehabilitation and optimum prosthetic use.
- As a new amputee, use a shrinker as prescribed. To aid that you can also try to take a bath at night as your leg might swell with hot water, making it difficult to put on your prosthetic.
- Don’t hang your leg down for longer hours, it might lead to swelling as well.
- You can also place a bandage on your stump to reduce swelling when you’re not using your device.
- Do stretching exercises regularly. Stretching of your limbs (both lower extremities) is extremely important to maintain mobility and health of your joints and muscles.
- Remove your device before sleeping. Also, examine your device for loose parts and contact your Prosthetist in case of any damage.
- Always wear clean and dry socks with your device, it will further aid in preventing your stump from any kind of bacterial infection.
These tips that can help you to maintain your limb and stump health. To begin your healthy journey as an amputee, it is important to take maximal care of your amputation site, device as well as your health in general.
It is really important to create achievable goals for your rehabilitation. For further queries you can reach out to us and we’ll be there to guide you through-out. It’s time to Step it up with Instalimb – Contact us today!