Let’s take a quick stroll through – how to identify that your socket isn’t ideal. It is extremely important to re-evaluate your socket priorities time and again to prevent any issue from arising. We completely understand how defining the not so ideal consequences of using your device becomes difficult without any set parameters.
We’re here to help, here are 6 signs that you can refer to assess how you’re feeling with your current device. Take a look below :
- Pain and Discomfort – Pain and discomfort can arise due to various reasons that are all connected to the socket fitting. Sometimes, you might feel your stump move or slide inside the socket which is a sign that your socket does not fit and further causes problems. Other times, the ill fitted socket might hinder your gait along with an accompanying pain with each step.
- Ability to pinpoint the bone supporting your weight – With a good fitted socket, you cannot differentiate the body part that is supporting your weight.
- Skin damage – Research shows that around 74% amputees have skin issues associated with prosthetic wear. They can be minor at times but may progress further as well. It includes blemish, redness, scab, and pigmentation.
- Balance issues – Balance is not solely affected by alignment, but significantly due to the fitting as well. If your socket is malaligned or loose it will result in instability, further leading to poor balance and a fear of falling.
- Wearing multiple socks to make your device stay in place is a clear sign that your socket needs adjusting!
- Back Pain – If your socket is loose/ill-fitted, it could lead to an improper gait and eventually cause structural and muscular changes. This in most cases causes muscular pain, especially back pain.
These signs not only affect the confidence of an amputee while using a prosthetic but also makes the rehabilitation process much more complicated.
It is really important to create achievable goals for your rehabilitation. For further queries you can reach out to us and we’ll be there to guide you through-out. It’s time to Step it up with Instalimb – Contact us today!