We are sure you’ve searched a million web pages and followed a lot of pamphlets. They must have made you guide through the medical aspect of amputation. It often includes the type of prosthesis, issues like phantom limb pain, precautions to take and what not. Today, we are going to address a topic that often goes unnoticed. That is how to attain success and build yourself as an amputee.
We’ll keep it crisp for you in 6 simple steps :
- Don’t expect to be quick and catch on to your new lifestyle in a few days! – It is a process of adaptation and it will require some time. One step at a time in the right direction will make you reach your goal with ease.
- Embrace yourself and find your peers – An amputee who is trusting the process is more likely to adapt faster to their new device and lifestyle. A part of building up your confidence is to embrace the stage you are at with your device. Try to reach out to people who are going through something similar or just your friends and family. Also, Don’t alienate yourself in this process. Visit the capeables, and cherish your supporting community!
- Strive to be active, not athletic – It’s okay to not to be entirely athletic. But being active is the key to your mental and physical health. As an amputee you need to be patient with your body as healing takes time.
- Never, and we say ‘Never compare your journey’ – Different amputees go through different processes. As well as issues in their lives, each one different from the other. It’s always good to be inspired by them. But don’t get hung up on not reaching the same milestones on their timeline.
(Refer to our One Stop Guide for Amputees)
- Build your bond with the Prosthetists – A good prosthetist will always listen to your issues and will resolve them or guide you through each step. It’s beneficial to keep a strong relationship with them. In order to reach out in case of any difficulty, big or small. Most importantly, they can fill you in with the latest advancements in technology. Also, your this will help you to constantly update lifestyle.
- Don’t be afraid to get a second-opinion – Are you wondering where to find a good Prosthetist (PO) for the same? Well, look no further. Call us – Our experienced and certified Prosthetists are waiting for you.
If you’re looking for a new device, interested in free test fitting, confused if your socket is the right fit, or any other queries – This is the time to reach out to us and try a test socket free of cost. Step it up with Instalimb – Contact us today!