There are ample changes in your life that are simultaneous with Amputation. May it be a lifestyle change, exercise regime change, mental exhaustion, multiple modifications and so on. Everything takes time, along with it comes the age old question of not being entirely dependent on somebody. Also, refer to our one-stop guide for an amputee!
One of the ways to become more independent in your daily life is to modify your HOME!
Your house is your happy place, a place that makes you feel at ease and it should do just that. Here are a few common modifications that you can make:
You will visit the kitchen often in your daily routine. It is of utmost importance to make it more functional for yourself. You can try –
- Choose to keep most used items on the kitchen counter or lower shelves for easy reach
- Moreover, make sure that the kitchen is accessible
- Get a one-handed faucet for easy sink use.
- Above all, have a space for a chair/wheelchair inside the kitchen to sit down if you get tired or dizzy.
We understand that it’s not feasible to get all the changes done at once. Do consider it a gradual process. One example is to shift your daily work routine – a workstation to the most convenient location in your house so you can accomplish the tasks without hassle. Others can be :
- Keep the walkers/crutches/wheelchair/artificial leg within reach.
- Use smart lights if possible, that you can control with your phone.
- Additionally, Install a hand-rail around your room entrance to the bed (especially if you have stairs at your home)
The most essential modifications, mentioned below:
- Get a hand-held shower for easy use.
- Use a shower seat, chair or bench to take a bath.
- Make sure that the bathroom essentials are within your reach
- With a lower limb amputation, you might need to make some space to fit in your wheelchair if you are using one initially.
- Also, opt for a non-slip floor coating in your bathroom!!
- As well as; If possible, avoid getting dressed in the bathroom, reach your bed to ensure safety.
Take a look at these Amputee house tours :
- Home modifications and it’s importance by Footless Jo
- Home modifications as an Amputee mom of little kids
For further insight, don’t forget to call our certified experts. This is the time to reach out to us and even try a test socket free of cost. Step it up with Instalimb – Contact us today!