It can be emotionally challenging when you face the world after an amputation. You have everyone around you – family, friends, and doctors. They are there to support you, yet they might not understand you fully. They are doing their best most of the time. Here comes the challenge to finding people who understand what you’re going through. And a community comes to the rescue!
One such community is The CapeAbles, is channeling the motto that “Not all heroes wear capes”. Where, mobility disability is not a restriction and they believe ‘Disability’ can be turned into ‘This Ability’.
So, what are the benefits of a community?
- Helps you connect to the right resources and people – A community can guide you through each step in your journey. They can act as your primary resource for information. There are multitudes of resources present on the internet, but they can help you define what is best for you.
- You can find a mentor – An amputee who has learnt the ways of life by experience and guidance can act as the right mentor for you. He/she can understand your plight and work through you, not with pity but with confidence.
- Helps you make an informed decision about artificial limbs – Due to a great number of prosthetic types available, it becomes difficult to choose the right fit. Here, a community and a mentor comes into play.
- To instill self esteem – After losing a limb due to any medical/traumatic reason, it is very normal to lose a sense of self. A community can provide you a healthy foundation to rebuild yourself.
- Helps you to deal with Phantom Limb Pain – Phantom pain can be a menace, it is difficult to deal with, without proper knowledge. It is often known as a numbing, tingling, burning sensation in the amputated area.
- To learn about various Government programs and schemes – There are a number of Government and private schemes that run throughout a year, whether it is related to insurance or monetary support. It is essential to keep a track of these.
- Get quick updates on how to live a healthy and nutritious lifestyle from other Amputees – This will essentially help you stay fit and healthy with a daily dose of motivation.
You can also take a look at our One stop guide for every amputee to help you initially!
Still have some specific questions in mind? Don’t worry, call our certified experts. It’s time to step it up with Instalimb – Contact us today!